Re: Open sysadmin-requests mailing-list?

<quote who="Murray Cumming Comneon com">

> I think we should at least have an open sysadmin-requests mailing list so
> - everyone can see what needs to be done. This would also build a case for
> employing a sysadmin.
> - everyone can see how best to request something.

Both of these are adequately solved by posting to gnome-sysadmin and Cc'ing
a relevant public mailing list. Accountability, etc.

> - the undocumented workings of our servers would be a bit more documented.

A requests mailing list is unlikely to help with this.

> - people without the root password can investigate problems and suggest
> solutions that the syadmins can try quickly.

A requests mailing list is unlikely to help with this.

Other options, the bugzilla product, or making the sysadmin-internal request
tracker more publically available (I would far prefer bugzilla because I
can't stand RT).

All in all, I think you should seriously consider using the very simple and
well tested first option. Fundamental and most relevant point: It is very
easy to make requests publically accountable to people who actually give a
crap about your request (ie. the audience of the relevant mailing list).
Who, in all seriousness, would subscribe to a sysadmin-requests list? No,
you don't have to answer that straight away, just think about it.

- Jeff

     "I think a lot of the basis of the open source movement comes from
                procrastinating students." - Andrew Tridgell