Re: [GNOME VFS] Re: Daemons [Was: gob inside gnome-vfs ...]

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 02:12, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 07:19, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > That seems like it might be bad for stability - one user-context
> > daemon crashing could potentially lead to a lot of data loss if it
> > took down all the others.
> >
> > But it would definitely make sense to have a single gnome-vfs daemon
> > that combined credentials caching, metadata, and whatever other shared
> > services would be provided via gnome-vfs.

I think Metadata is less important, we have the same synchronization
issues with Metadata that we would with any standard file; that is to
say that I'm not sure we need a daemon for metadata and not one for the
whole filesystem. But for "credentials" this is definitely a problem we
need to solve.

I know nothing about writing daemons, though I agree that GnomeVFS
really needs a daemon for many of these things. I would greatly
appreciate it if somebody could help me write the basic structure of the
daemon (starting up, shutting down, making sure its secure, etc)

-Seth