Re: 2.0.1 bug situation, esp. wrt ZVT

Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:
On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 10:10:44AM -0700, HideToshi Tajima wrote:
Hi Havoc,

Havoc Pennington wrote:

Toshi - a couple comments on the i18n patch:

- I would not use PangoLayout, it's going to be slow and slightly
wrong in terms of what it does to text. you probably want to use
Xft directly or close the GTK 2.2 API bug to add a simple "draw
string" kind of API to pango

I could understand it may make things slow, but I'm not really sure what
you mean from
"going to be slightly wrong"? Is this known issue of PangoLayout?

I don't want to use Xft directly - at least don't want to make it an
only option, so that
it should work in the system not having Xft. Using a simple "draw
string" API of pango
may be a choice at 2.2, but I'm afraid it cannot be in 2.0.x.

(Above all, I understand using Pango is a way to handle text rendering
and layout in
GTK+2 and GNOME2. Is it not true specfically in gnome-terminal and
terminal widget?)

PangoLayout is going to draw proportional fonts in a proportional manner,
which is wrong for a terminal unless you're using a fixed font or drawing
one character at a time.
Thanks. It sounds like drawing one character at a time is a way to go for now
to work around both of PangoLayout and non-monospaced font issues.

Regards,
Toshi

Basically you need some way to specify the spacing between characters
when you draw them, which I think you can do with a custom shaper, but I
haven't really explored that.

HTH,

Nalin