Re: 2.0.1 bug situation, esp. wrt ZVT

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 10:10:44AM -0700, HideToshi Tajima wrote:
> Hi Havoc,
>
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> >Toshi - a couple comments on the i18n patch:
> >
> >- I would not use PangoLayout, it's going to be slow and slightly
> >  wrong in terms of what it does to text. you probably want to use
> >  Xft directly or close the GTK 2.2 API bug to add a simple "draw
> >  string" kind of API to pango
> >
> I could understand it may make things slow, but I'm not really sure what
> you mean from
> "going to be slightly wrong"? Is this known issue of PangoLayout?
>
> I don't want to use Xft directly - at least don't want to make it an
> only option, so that
> it should work in the system not having Xft. Using a simple "draw
> string" API of pango
> may be a choice at 2.2, but I'm afraid it cannot be in 2.0.x.
>
> (Above all, I understand using Pango is a way to handle text rendering
> and layout in
> GTK+2 and GNOME2. Is it not true specfically in gnome-terminal and
> terminal widget?)

PangoLayout is going to draw proportional fonts in a proportional manner,
which is wrong for a terminal unless you're using a fixed font or drawing
one character at a time.

Basically you need some way to specify the spacing between characters
when you draw them, which I think you can do with a custom shaper, but I
haven't really explored that.

HTH,

Nalin