Re: Queries about release specifications [Was: who gets in and why]

Hi Jeff,

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 08:12, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Telsa has just kindly lodged a bunch of relevant bugs on the release team
> with regards to documentation and such (assigning them all to me in the
> process - GAR!)... When the FTP and 2.0.2 stuff is done, I'm going to get
> stuck into those.

	Great :-) that's really good news; oh - and embarassingly enough - the
GEP webpage doesn't update correctly - somehow
~gnomeweb/bin/gep-update-whatever is not working correctly; any chance
you could fix it ?

> Hopefully that will form the start of some (hopefully fairly casual)
> policy documents on things like this.

	I do tend to agree with Mark though that one of the purposes of the GEP
thing is to pull away from the release team some of the decisions that
they have in the past made - so they are done in a more open and
accountable way, by hackers.

	Whether that applies to new applications I think does depend on how
close we are to release and the panic level ;-) but in broad terms I
think we need a whole lot more scrutiny of applications we're adding to
the platform - particularly [!] guaging code quality, something that
might seem revolutionary - but I think it's worth insisting on some
minimal code quality requirements to get stuff in, in some formal way
rather than "It works for me" sort of things - but hopefully if I'm
wrong there other people will point that out. Also, having a more formal
approval process, might be a lever to encourage people to sync release
schedules with Gnome, and feel more includeded in 'the community'.

	Regards,

		Michael.