Re: Queries about release specifications [Was: who gets in and why]

Hi Jeff,
	Thanks for the clarification ...

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> So, do you think we should be using the GEP process to decide upon the
> Desktop release components too?

	I don't think GEP is entirely suitable but its not too far
off. A document setting out what hole in the desktop an app fills, how
the app fits in with existing apps in the desktop, how the app
fulfills the criteria Luis set out, what other applications that
fulfill a similar role was considered etc. Basically, the whole
decision making process that was followed set out in black and white.
That would be just as desirable as people using the GEP process to
make more 'techincal' decisions about the platform.

	What I'm saying is that, IMHO, what the GEP process intends to
achieve is that a set process that involves a lot of public
consultation is used to make relatively major decisions about GNOME.
If GEP is codified to precisely for decisions affected libraries that
doesn't mean we shouldn't try and follow that intent when making
decisions that are just as important.

Good Luck,
Mark.