Re: Canvas redraw priority

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 11:26:48AM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 23:00, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> > The 2.0 canvas is bletcherously slow.  So slow I am contemplating a
> > switch to the simplified 'foocanvas' module.
>
> 	Do you have a simple test case that I can use to profile / speed it up
> ? do you have any idea where the bottlenecks / problems are ? what's the
> story ?

This is strictly a seat of the pants 'gnumeric scrolling is
noticably more lagged' observation.  Given that we're still in the
expansion phase of the 1.1.x cycle (aka woohoo! lets break stuff) I
have not started tracing the origins.  The waters are now muddied in
cvs by the use of pango in cells and some sub optimal gconf usage.

However, it seems fairly likely that ditching the aa additions will
be benefitial to gnumeric which did not use them.  I did some local
tests of a conversion and it 'felt' faster.

Do you have access to a decent perf measurement tool ?  gprof is
fairly unhelpful and I've yet to get the eazel-tools working under
gnome2.