Re: Secondary proposal ;) [Was: Proposal for changes to gnome-announce]

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 10:55:33AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> This very true. I'm happy to create a new software announce list, copy the
> subscribers across, and help admin the announce list to stop module specific
> software announcements going through.
>
> So we'd have:
>
>   gnome-announce-list: Major release announcements, press releases, news.
>   gnome-software-list: Individual module release announcements.

It's still a very bad idea, just to pull the old mailing list away under
everyone's feet. A mass-resubscribe won't help: procmail rules will
break, people will wonder why they're getting mail from a mailing list
they've never heard of, people will try to send software announcements
to gnome-announce-list and get frustrated when they get rejected, people
will search the gnome-announce-list archives and wonder why suddenly
it's so quiet on this list, etc. If you want a new list, create a new
list. Don't abuse a working list for that reason.

 - Sebastian