Re: vfolder related stuff

Diego González <diego pemas net> writes:

> i'm starting to take a look at the vfolder vfs method, and the first
> thing i decided to do was to see where/how the data is stored on disk,
> here is what i found, IMHO it is a mess...

Yeah I think it at least needs more docs. You saw my comments
following up to Luis's post right?

> looking at the data that is splitted into the gnome hierarchy i'm
> seeing:
>
> 	etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications.vfolder-info
> 	etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/preferences.vfolder-info

My understanding is that these are the queries used for
applications:/// and preferences:///

I know for Red Hat we would like to move KDE to use vfolders, and
ideally have gnome/kde using the same query files too. So ideally we
could get all this documented and just put it in /etc/vfolders/ or
something.

> this files seem to contain the rules to define the directories (folders)
> that contain the applications and the rules used to fill them.
>
> 	share/applications/*
>
> that contain the launchers.

Yes this is just a flat directory with all the launchers the vfolders
can include.

> 	share/gnome/apps/*
>
> that also seem to contain folders and launchers, maybe this is
> deprecated and should not be used?

This is the old dir from GNOME 1.x.

> 	share/gnome/vfolders/*
>
> that contain the directories under which the applications are placed

Right, this gets us icons and translated names for the folders.

> and then we have .gnome2/vfolders/*, I don't know how this is supposed
> to be used, but after making a simple program i think that the logic in
> the vfolders module to merge this with the default one is broken. Or
> maybe i have not understand how to add a custom item to the menu bar.
> Can somebody with knowledge put some light in this?

My impression is that when you edit a vfolder, it copies the system
query into ~/.gnome2/vfolders/ and then modifies it. But I may have
misunderstood.

> other findings: Gnumeric seems to install a .desktop file under
> share/mc/templates. Nautilus installs 2 .desktop files in
> share/nautilus, metacity install a desktop file in gnome/wm-properties

share/nautilus are just the file it uses to create the default desktop
icons in ~/.gnome-desktop

gnome/wm-properties is where the old window manager capplet looks for
window managers that you can switch to.

Havoc