Re: GNOME 2.0 Platform Alpha Deadline - Sep 26, 2001

Bill Gribble wrote:

On Tue, 2001-09-18 at 14:53, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

Various things use it, including a couple of applets in
gnome-applets. However, gnome-http has a very low-level and not so
well integrated API.

Also, no one has been hacking on it.

Well, speak for yourself :)  We found that with a small amount of
wrapper code the gnome-http API was sufficient.  HTTP isn't that
complicated.
Gnucash has wrapped it up a little to do asynchronous i/o a la libwww;
it's not perfect (still blocks at odd times) but it's the best you can
do short of another thread.  Lightweight, works, not changing all the
time.  Nothing wrong with any of that.

Yeah, I've seen non-blocking patches for connect(), read() and write() at various times but I doubt they have been committed. "It's just a big state machine."

--Chris