Re: Gnome-Media

Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert ximian com> writes:

> And those that we leave there, we could really polish them for GNOME2.
> using antialiasing and such things. A card game like Aisleriot is a
> pretty good and playable solitaire game already. (Yeah, there is
> Freecell too, but Aisleriot has a Freecell mode as well. With all
> respect, I dont think we need to ship two games that do the same thing)
>
> We could fix up some of the graphics on the games, so they look new.
> Even if they dont have massive changes in the codebase, it will give the
> impression that we wanted to do something new on that area too. It
> shouldnt be too hard to do small things like that.
>
> Maybe we sould concentrate on a few different, fun and playable games,
> and really polish them so that Gnome2 looks awesome. Perhaps one card
> game, one board game etc. If you allow a selfish example, do you
> remember how people loved the Gnome Mines faces on the early days? Since
> we do have antialiasing and stuff, we should take advantage of those
> things.

I rewrote the game engine to be pretty earlier:
(see http://jrb.webwynk.net/files/Screenshot-Test_scm.png)

Additionally, I added support for svg-based cards.  Unfortunately, the
guy who was going to do the graphics paniced after doing the queen of
hearts, and left me without new images (the old ones still exist).  I'd
love it if anyone gave me new images -- it would totally rock my world.

>     How does the Gtk2 stuff affect us graphically? I mean, do now all
>     alpha channels in png images just magically work? Excuse my
>     ignorance, I am just asking since I would like to take these into
>     account when making icons. I know Gnome2 stock icons will support
>     full alpha channels which is great. Is the same true for all
>     bitmaps?

Sort of, though most games do their own custom thing anyway.  From now
on, it's pretty safe to assume a full alpha channel (with GTK 2.0) when
making images.

Thanks,
-Jonathan