Re: Gnome-Media

On Tue, 2001-10-16 at 08:31, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
    >  Do we want to get gnome-games into the core stuff? I'd
    > say yes :)

    No one will use a desktop that doesn't come with some cheesy gamelets,
    so yes. :-)

Maybe we should look through the games and see what are useful (if you
are playing games, which ones? What about your son / daughter / mom /
girlfriend / whatnot?), and see if we should drop some. I know that
Mahjongg and Aisleriot are the favourites around here. And I liked
Klotski, it was a very nice brain squeezer :)

And those that we leave there, we could really polish them for GNOME2.
using antialiasing and such things. A card game like Aisleriot is a
pretty good and playable solitaire game already. (Yeah, there is
Freecell too, but Aisleriot has a Freecell mode as well. With all
respect, I dont think we need to ship two games that do the same thing)

We could fix up some of the graphics on the games, so they look new.
Even if they dont have massive changes in the codebase, it will give the
impression that we wanted to do something new on that area too. It
shouldnt be too hard to do small things like that.

Maybe we sould concentrate on a few different, fun and playable games,
and really polish them so that Gnome2 looks awesome. Perhaps one card
game, one board game etc. If you allow a selfish example, do you
remember how people loved the Gnome Mines faces on the early days? Since
we do have antialiasing and stuff, we should take advantage of those
things.

A few examples that come to my mind:

        * Mahjongg could use antialiased tiles and overlay the tile
          symbols on top of those etc. It could even choose from a bunch
          of slightly different ones so it might look more like they
          were real stones, when every one didnt look the same.
        * Aisleriot could have new card backs and antialiased interface
          for cards, also we could give some alternative desk background
          images. I have some nice photos of wooden surfaces we might
          use as tiled textures.
        * Nibbles is very nice, but the graphics really scream for a
          small cartoony snake that goes around looking funny. Again
          someone like me or Ville (drc), who is good at that style
          IMHO, could do something, if a hacker or two are willing to
          help on the coding side. A  snake that was made of bezier
          curves would be _awesome_ :-)

A bit offtopic question:

    How does the Gtk2 stuff affect us graphically? I mean, do now all
    alpha channels in png images just magically work? Excuse my
    ignorance, I am just asking since I would like to take these into
    account when making icons. I know Gnome2 stock icons will support
    full alpha channels which is great. Is the same true for all
    bitmaps?

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::