Re: National Website in Japan (pressing for an action)

On 27 May 2001 20:07:10 -0400, Iain wrote:

> > I think it was Havoc who once posted a comment on Gnotices where he said
> > that the important part of GNOME to get 'everyone' to use is the
> > development plattform, not the desktop. This is also my view.
> >

> They use 2 libraries of the platform not the whole platform.
> It's a very tenuous link.
> If GTK want to put up their own news site where anything that uses GTK
> can have an article, so be it. However promoting what is essentially a
> competing desktop environment is NOT a relevant article for the site.

How many GNOME libraries used in the XFCE system is not really a good
measurement of anything. The point is that their GTK+ based and support
all GNOME wm-hints etc. Being GTK+ based makes running GNOME apps the
natural choice under it cause GNOME apps integrates the best in regard
to look and feel. This means every user of XFCE will probably choose
GTK+\GNOME based applications where available, including Ximian
applications which I would think you are interested in seeing as widely
used as possible. So unless you are sure that the people choosing XFCE
would choose the GNOME desktop instead if XFCE wasn't available/known to
them, then treating XFCE like a friend is a good move for GNOME.
Since they don't provide or aim to provide a anlternative development
plattform to us I can't say that I think they should be viewed as
competitors, rather as a suplement. The difference between GTK+ and
GNOME apps will be even smaller after the GTK+ 2.0 release since the
look&feel then will be the same, this can only be a benefit and strenght
for GNOME.

Christian