Re: GNOME CVS (silent): bug-buddy pablo

Kaixo!

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:10:38PM +0200, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

>> does this mean that we should be able to distcheck with gettext 0.10.37?

I finished checking the files in the Gnome CVS.
There are three modules that still need fixing, they have some latin1
hardcoded strings:

* sodipodi: it has a string "Valige värv", which seems very odd... and
	it uses the iso-8859-1 degree symbol.
* gnome-vfs: it has an iso-8859-1 mu letter (µ) in string (Sun µ-law audio)
* gtranslator: it uses the middle dot (·) to make blansk visible.

For gtranslator the author is aware of the probleme; but the fix needs
a rewritten of some portions of the code (as currently it is broken anyway,
as it assumes the translation of '·' is always one byte long, which is wrong
for several locales and always wrong in utf-8).

For sodipodi and gnome-vfs; what should be best, rewrite those in pure
ascii; or encode them in utf-8 and mandate use of utf-8 in the *.po files?
As the degree sign and mu letter are present in almost all encodings
I think maybe the use of utf-8 will allow to still keep them; and the
implementation of gettext() in the GNU libc is able to convert from the po
file encoding to the user encoding (that is, the change of the po file
encoding will be visible by the translator only; not the user).
But maybe some systems have a gettext() implementation not allowing that.

What do you think will be the best solution?

PS: I also changed to ascii some people namesin sources that hardcoded
iso-8859-1 or iso-8859-2 chars in the sources (in some cases a same source
hardoced both iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-2!), with a comment to tell if the
charset of the translator allows it, which chars to use.
I also fixed in gimp po file the incorrect translation of '<Image>'.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975