Re: Need better request tracking

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com> writes:

> We need some form of request tracking system for cvs accounts (and
> perhaps gnome-hackers subscriptions).
>
> A lot of people have had to wait for weeks and even months to get CVS
> accounts and send multiple mails. Some people just give up on
> contributing because they have to wait so long and don't feel like
> sending mail over and over.
>
> We really need to set up a proper request tracking system so we can
> handle requests in a timely manner and have visible common standards
> for whom we will and will not grant an account.

Well, I don't think a better request system will solve this problem since
our problem is something completely different.

Our problem is basically the following:

(1) We don't have any clear rules and standards about whom we will and will
    not grant an account

(2) We are missing documentation; there should be a document telling people
    to send the following to cvsmaster gnome org

        - desired account name
        - full name
        - email address
        - crypted password (*)
        - why they need the account
        - additional info (for instance if someone approved the request)

    This document should also contain the following "rules" about email
    conversations with cvsmaster gnome org:

        - always send mails to cvsmaster gnome org and not directly to
          people in personal mail, for instance me.

        - when answering mails from cvsmaster, always Cc: cvsmaster gnome org
          in the reply.

        - when answering or following up to cvsmaster gnome org, always quote
          the full mail you're referring to; this especially applies to
          submitting more info, for instance crypted passwords.

    (*) since I'm getting tired telling people how to create a crypted password
    this also needs to be mentioned in that document.

(3) In the past, some people on cvsmaster gnome org didn't follow the
    "always Cc: cvsmaster gnome org when replying or creating accounts" rule
    which made other people (for instance me) upset.

(4) We don't have any clear responsibility about who should create which
    accounts or at least we don't know that we have.

So what can we do to improve the situation ?

(2) It should be trivial to write up such a document with the info I gave
    above and put it somewhere.

    [Whoever writes that document, there's a web interface to create a
     crypted password; I forgot the URL, but you can ask XachBot about
     `cryptit' or something like this].

(3) Well, this is basically just a question of communication and discipline.

    It gets very annoying if you go to the admin interface to create an
    account just to find out that it's already created.

(4) Well, I think we already have things assigned in a way that Kjartan
    creates all accounts for translators and docu people and that Maciej,
    Elliot and me are doing the rest.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)