Re: libxml2 in gnome 1.4

On 22 Mar 2001, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > GLib 2.0 has functions g_locale_to_utf8() and g_locale_from_utf8(),
> > maybe someone can come up with a canonical standalone version of those
> > to be cut-and-pasted all over the place to deal with libxml.
>
> Can we backport the equivalent functions from XML2 and put them on
> XML1?

Just to clarify my previous message, I don't think libxml handling
character encodings is bad.  I just question whether adding the support to
the 1.x branch at this point is a good idea (especially so close to the
gnome 1.4 release).

I am guessing that there is a lot of code that uses libxml1 and doesn't
handle character set conversions, and I can see this change breaking
them.  Yes the programs are broken, but they are relying on certain
behaviour from libxml, which should probably not be changing in a point
release.

Having backports of g_locale_to_utf8() and g_locale_from_utf8() would be a
good interim solution though.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au