Re: libxml2 in gnome 1.4

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 11:36:30AM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2001, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
>

> > > GLib 2.0 has functions g_locale_to_utf8() and g_locale_from_utf8(),
> > > maybe someone can come up with a canonical standalone version of those
> > > to be cut-and-pasted all over the place to deal with libxml.
> >
> > Can we backport the equivalent functions from XML2 and put them on
> > XML1?
>
> Just to clarify my previous message, I don't think libxml handling
> character encodings is bad.  I just question whether adding the support to
> the 1.x branch at this point is a good idea (especially so close to the
> gnome 1.4 release).

  It is clear taht if this breaks too much stuff, and if this stuff
wasn't inherently broken, then libxml-1.8.12 should not be released before
we have patches for them. I never said that 1.8.12 should delay 1.4
nor that I would release it anytime soon in case of troubles.

  BTW the current version is only in CVS head and in the
test directory, i don't consider this a release and would feel really
annoyed if this was pushed as a normal upgrade.

> I am guessing that there is a lot of code that uses libxml1 and doesn't
> handle character set conversions, and I can see this change breaking
> them.  Yes the programs are broken, but they are relying on certain
> behaviour from libxml, which should probably not be changing in a point
> release.

  Well I appreciate the fact that making it available at least allowed
to pinpoint problems and fixes soem of them already (like galeon and
gnome-db2html2 ones).

> Having backports of g_locale_to_utf8() and g_locale_from_utf8() would be a
> good interim solution though.

  yes.

Daniel