Re: libxml2 in gnome 1.4

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 05:04:59PM -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 02:57:30PM -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> >    I know it is too late for including libxml2 in gnome 1.4, but maybe
> > the distributors could fix this problem.
>
>   Hum, as much as i'm happy at the idea of people transitionning because
> 1.x branch is really sick in a number of ways, as much I am concerned
> by suggesting this at the very last moment. Especially if different
> distributions start shipping different versions while we are trying
> to make a great deal of efforts to define a unified programming platform
> encompassing distributors and operating systems.

  This is just an heads-up but basically the best way to solve the
problen is unfortunately to fix libxml1 parser to at least deal correctly
with UTF8 and ISO-Latin-1 encodings.
  I have spent yesterday and will probably spend some time today pluging
in the 2.3.5 (or what will be it's not released yet) core XML parser in
the libxml1 framework. No changes API wise. The only changes will be
backward binary compatible extensions of some of the parser structures
and the number of parser states.
  Once it passes my regression tests I will commit this to gnome-xml
libxml 1 branch head (tag LIB_XML_1_BRANCH), and after checking that
it doesn't introduce any incompatibilities, release it as 1.8.12
which will be suitable for integration by distributors.

If you use libxml1 in some tortured ways, making sure you will have
time to check that the new version don't break your code of binaries
is a good idea. Basically I will need feedback for at least:
   - libglade
   - bonobo
   - nautilus
   - evolution
  If someone has troubles with this plan, please speak up, quickly !

Daniel