Re: more gnome 2 proposal

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 10:12:34PM -0500, jacob berkman wrote:
> which means we need to start serious development devoted to developing
> and using components.

I still do not see how this all makes libgnomeui as a separate module
completely irrelevant.  Just like you should not replace GTK+ with
components, so you shouldn't do it with a desktop integration library.  Yes,
gnome-libs has before had some things that would be better off as components,
but there are many things which don't.  We still need a desktop integration
library for desktop integration widgets and functions.  Components are very
cool, but do not replace everything.

How about this plan of attack (which seems basically like what you guys want
anyway in the final outcome):

  1) Split up gnome-libs as per our plan.
  2) Start working on components to replace some relevant libgnomeui stuff in
     bonobo
  3) When those technologies in bonobo fully replace libgnomeui in a way
     useful to developers we deprecate that part of libgnomeui.

This way we transform to components on an "as needed" basis, rather then on
a "change everything" basis.  We do not have time to change everything for
GNOME 2.  We do not need to.

I still also feel that there will be a place for libgnome/libgnomeui even
after bonobization is done.  However small this library may be.

My startrek future plan would go more along the lines of starting from
scratch on libgnomeui now that we know what GTK+'s role is more clearly and
now that we know more about what componentization means.

So if we are already talking what my "plan" or "vision" for GNOME is.  Let me
state mine:  GNOME needs to be a good and easy to use desktop environment.
It needs to be a free software environment.  It needs to make it possible for
average users to have access to computers.  Nowhere in there is any mention
of what technology this is achieved by.  If we can do this without the best
use of components, then so be it.  We should not get attached to any
technology just because "it sounds cool".  We should always ask what will
this mean for your regular user.  One of the biggest considerations we need
to look at is time.  A great technology in 10 years is completely useless
now.  Users cannot use cool technology if it's not released.  We need to be
pragmatic and we need to focus on getting a free software environment that is
good enough to users in a timely fashion.  We need to get free software on
the desktop NOW.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior