Re: more gnome 2 proposal

Alex Graveley <alex ximian com> writes:

> 1) Oaf is the activation mechanism for bonobo, and iirc, maintainers of
> both bonobo and oaf have expressed interest in merging them.
>
> 2) The interface to gconf should be bonobo-conf.
>
> 3) Although not brought up, the interface to gnome-vfs should also be
> bonobo/moniker-based.
>
> I understand this is all very Blue Skyish, but when I said componentize
> to the core, I meant it.

My suggestion on this has always been:

 - do a Bonobo-based wrapper implemented in terms of the C APIs,
   since we have to keep supporting the C APIs in the short term
 - when everyone is pretty much using the wrapper, phase out
   the C APIs

So if you approach it that way, I don't see how doing the Bonobo
interfaces affects the wrapped libraries or requires integration with
them. Also, the Bonobo interfaces can be on a different release
schedule from the wrapped libraries, if appropriate.

Havoc