Re: spec files (was Re: Domains)

On 14 Mar 2001 08:55:50 -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> This is on gnome-hackers, as there's nothing private about this
>
> On 14 Mar 2001 08:58:54 -0500, jacob berkman wrote:
> > >
> > >   Can we consider this a bug (at the maintainer level) ?

> > >   Hum, spec files are generated usually from .spec.in
> >
> > this is to get the paths right.
>
> I don't think I've seen many which use this to generate the paths, and
> by doing this, you make the spec file totally non-portable.

it is non-portable no matter what you do right now, without
modifications to your rpm setup (i think).

> The best
> things get generated are the version number (that's nice, as you only
> have to change it one place per release), and the package name.

right... i forgot that this was the use and not the paths, sorry.

> > now, please consider that the paths vary between distributions.
>
> RPM has some fairly standardized macros for defining file names in terms
> of the local environment.

this does not take into account that on (for example) caldera, glib is
in /usr, gtk in /usr/X11R6, and gnome in /opt/gnome (since kde is in
/opt/kde).

welcome to the world of non-FHS and linux distributions.

the hell i lived in a year ago.

jacob
--
C-x i .signature