Re: Minimum specs, "funky" defaults, and old machinery

Tim Janik wrote:

> however, that has obvious portability issues.
> one can do a bit of magic at least on linux via /proc/cpuinfo (though
> "cpu MHz" tends to be pretty screwy for laptops) and /proc/apm, but
> for all other systems we probably need to pick a static default ;(

Systems not based on x86 architecture usually have far lower MHz numbers
and I'm not sure it's possible to make the right decision based on MHz
only, even if you had a way to get the number portably.

However, if you want to try, you could use libgtop which will give you
that information. Currently available on Linux, *BSD and Solaris only,
so it's not much in terms of portability, but it's better than nothing.

--
 .-.   .-.    Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.