Re: Minimum specs, "funky" defaults, and old machinery

On 11 Mar 2001 12:04:01 +0000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> My rambles about deskguide and tasklist in the panel reminded me of
> something else which I thought should be separate from that reply.
>
> What minimum specs are people here assuming Gnome will run on?
> I would love to know what people develop and test on.
>
> I have whinged about thumbnails being on by default before, particularly
> on IRC. But people don't seem to care. "It makes no difference on my
> computer".

it makes a pretty noticable difference on my machine (in addition to it
being unstable in the past (i think it is better now though)).  also, it
sucks for laptops running on battery, since it keeps the cpu from
sleeping much.  the crusoe's would help here :)

so, i would advocate with it being off by default.

tim, what are your views on this?

jacob
--
"The people who made the Macintosh produced a miracle, but that
 doesn't mean their code was wonderful." -- Bob Cringely