Re: more gnome 2 proposal

Hi,

I think that the point of Jacob's proposal (as I understand it) is being
lost here.

Arguments about a single module being easier to build are not the point.
Dependencies being easier and development more streamlined is also not
the point. They are secondary bonuses gained through the implementation
of the real purpose: large scale componentization of Gnome.

What this means is that we would not building a huge monolithic
unmaintainable beast. Your arguments do not apply as they are not
thinking in this mindset. We would be building components that rely on
eachother heavily and should be in the same package to make development
sane.

What being a componentized framework means is:

    Dependencies become simple interface-driven mechanisms.

    Replacing buggy or bad ideas (Imlib, GtkXmHtml) becomes simple as
    applications will simply be unable to find those deprecated
    components, or will find interface compatible wrappers to their
    replacements.

    New implementations of core components can be rolled in to the
    system by third parties.

    Use of developmental implementations become transparent to the
    system and applications.

    Yadda yadda, read Don Box if you find this interesting :)

Your arguments wrt Microsoft are invalid as the COM/MFC/ATL split is
only present because the system is not inherantly COM based. We have the
chance to do things the right way that microsoft never had. Also be
aware that ATL and COM are for all intents "merged", along with MTS, in
COM+. And that all four are going away to be replaced with an integrated
component system: .NET.

To make a bad counter reference, Sun packages their Java as one; the VM
"component system", and print/application/gui/utility "components" are
all in a single source tree. Sun hits Java deadlines, while continually
adding useful features and components. :-)

Also, it is important to mention that this would not be a "huge" module.
We are talking about merging non-ui bonobo, non-ui gnome-libs (tiny
after the bonobo merge), gconf, oaf, and gnome-vfs into one module.
Bonobo-ui, gnome-libs-ui (tiny after bonobo merge), and gnome-canvas
into another. Possibly adding gnome-print and gnome-print-ui
respectively, but I am not adamant about it.

Also, given that everything will be merged and component-based, the
chances for refactoring are immense.

Wrt complexity of the tree, the fact that everything would 1)
component-based and b) integrated, means that we can come up with a sane
tree layout that makes sense for all of the core modules. Not just one
that makes sense for bonobo, one for gnome-libs, one for gconf... all
that make sense for the individual package but when taken with all the
other packages in the system add to a confusing non-uniform mess.

-Alex

On 11 Mar 2001 02:03:44 -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Alex Graveley <alex ximian com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 10 Mar 2001 18:39:56 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > > I think the largest and most substantive point of disagreement right
> > > now is library packaging, i.e. lots of small modules vs. two big
> > > modules.
> >
> > My personal view is that this is a major mistake. You run the risk of
> > continuing the tradition of difficult builds and complex dependencies.
> >
> > Keeping everything in one or two modules is nearly guaranteed to fix
> > both problems.
> >

> I disagree. Huge modules are difficult to build. This is because for
> any given module, there's only a few people that really pay attention
> to build stuff, and the bigger it is, the harder it is for these few
> people to keep things building well and have time to do anything else.
>
> In fact, gnome-libs is the main module we have that's a big grab-bag
> of various stuff, and it's one of the hardest to build.
>
> On the other hand, there are good solutions today for building many
> modules easily in the correct order. At Eazel we have a setup where I
> can just type `rebuild' and nautilus and all it's dependencies get
> checked out and built off the correct branches and in the correct
> order. And it's always building, because we keep a tinderbox going
> that sends us whiny mail when it does not. Alternately, I can type
> `gnome_1_4_beta2' followed by `rebuild' and build the whole GNOME 1.4
> beta from tarballs.
>
> I can't really imagine a simpler build experience.
>
> If other people are really having a hard time getting compiled, we can
> distribute our eazel-hacking setup more widely (it's available but we
> don't publicize it a lot because it's pretty customized for Eazel's
> environment, and we assumed other people had their own good build
> solutions).
>
> It's also important to recall that the set of people who build GNOME
> from source with any regularity is vanishingly small - 99%+ of users
> get everything from binary packages. Even most users using
> bleeding-edge packages like Nautilus and Evolution use binary packages.
>
> For these users, having things split up nicely is much better than
> having one big honking package. Their needs are much more important
> than the relatively small handful of people who actually build stuff
> from source.
>

> > It is important to keep in mind that having everything in one or two
> > CVS modules does not in any way influence our ability to generate as
> > many libraries as we want, or as many binary package descriptions
> > that make sense. It also does not hinder the ability to have a
> > maintainer for a given functional area.
> >

> But it _does_ hinder the ability to release and update these
> separately, and to manage cross-dependencies effectively. Please read
> the section in the proposal about how Microsoft keeps different parts
> of the API split up and cleanly layered, and why. Do you think we're
> [...]
 make: *** No rule to make target `sense'.  Stop.