Re: more gnome 2 proposal

On Mar 11, 2001, Iain <tigermilk btinternet com> wrote:

> I think Bonobo should be integrated as fully as we
> can, and personally, I don't care if that takes longer than we have till
> some July freeze, sod it. Bonobo is possibly the most important thing in
> GNOME and waiting until December 2002 before we have it fully integrated
> is just silly.

IMHO, it makes more sense to hold off on the full-scale Bonobo
integration until after Bonobo has matured a little more.  Bonobo has
come a long way over the past year towards better usability and API
cleanliness, but I'd be surprised if the current state is the best we
can do.

Later, e.g., in GNOME 3, after the full ramifications of Bonobo's
current implementation have come to light, we will be on much better
technical ground to wire it into gnome-libs at a more fundamental
level.  If we tried to integrate it before then, we'd be betting the
farm on an imperfect (though clever and ground-breaking) technology.

John

--
dusk ravendusk org                            http://www.gnome.org
jsheets codeweavers com                  http://www.worldforge.org