Re: a patch for tasklist segfaulting...

George <jirka 5z com> writes:

> I'd much rather there was a wrong fix that makes it not crash then to have it
> crash.  Now that tasklist is shlib (which I'm beginning to think was not the
> greatest idea in the world).  A crash can take down the panel.  Which you say
> may be ok, since the panel restarts.  But the panel restarts with the
> tasklist.  Most reports are from people who can't get a panel to not crash
> upon login.  There were about 10 reports of this yesterday.  So I would far
> rather have a wrong fix, then no fix.
>
> Jaka did post about what he did, so it's not like the patch went in silently.
> And I'd hope that if he has any more of these patches he'll just commit them
> and tell us.  (though I have a tendency to find these things out by looking
> at the ChangeLog which is a wonderful thing).

Well, I agree with George about this, that it's better to put in a wrong fix
which makes something not crash than to keep something crashing.

However, I think it'd be better if Jaca used g_return_val_if_fail() or at
least put in a g_warning() instead of just making it return. Even if you can
insert a breakpoint on the return statement, I think it'd be better to have
it spill out a warning.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)