Re: a patch for tasklist segfaulting...

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 09:50:12AM -0800 or thereabouts, George wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 11:19:58AM -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > > It is rather scary that these patches are going through without any
> > > review.
> > >
> > > 	"It crashes because something is NULL"
> > >
> > > 	"Well, just return if it is NULL"
> > >
> > > Without ever checking if that is a valid condition and indeed the
> > > simple fix was correct, or if it is just a handwaving hack.
> >
> > I'd much rather there was a wrong fix that makes it not crash then to
> > have it crash.  Now that tasklist is shlib (which I'm beginning to think
> > was not the greatest idea in the world).  A crash can take down the panel.
> > Which you say may be ok, since the panel restarts.  But the panel restarts
> > with the tasklist.
>
> Ditto for deskguide.

i highly doubt that this is due to deskguide.
deskguide is not a shared library but its own application, as such it should
have a hard time taking the panel down, let alone the X server.

> I have twice brought down the whole of X whilst monkeying with the beta.
> This is on a machine which (unusually for me) does not have some weirdo
> video/X problems.
>
> All sorts of things have changed, but I am inclined to blame it on the
> deskguide. Trying to restart X results in the panel respawning, with the
> bloody deskguide in it with the same settings that somehow triggered the
> crash. This is not fun. I have not bugzilla'd it because I can't prove
> it's the deskguide.

i've seen the panel constantly respawning as well, however that was without
deskguide or tasklist but due to a session management bug (which boc told me
is fixed in CVS now).

> If you can't get the panel and the deskguide/tasklist to behave long
> enough to remove the deskguide or tasklist from the panel with right-click
> ->remove this from panel, there is nothing you can do about it.

if you can provide with any info that'd lead deskguide to crash the panel
or somesuch, that'd be much apprechiated. however without sane backtraces
or reproduction info there's obviously not much i can do about your problems.

> Telsa

---
ciaoTJ