Re: gettext (accidental?)

Hi, Havoc!

> GTK actually requires gettext to be installed (you can't do
> --with-included-gettext for libraries), so we may as well just nuke
> all instances of the "intl" directory, right? It's not useful.

I don't know much about GNOME build system, but you probably shouldn't do
that unless you want to "fix" configure.in in every GNOME project.

Not only is intl/Makefile.in needed on CVS, but also the source tarballs
need it as well. At least some of them are created by "make dist" so even
if we remove all code from intl, intl/Makefile.in should remain there,
support common targets such as "all" and "clean" and be able to copy
itself on "make distdir" while skipping missing intl files. If you want I
can write such minimal intl/Makefile.in, but I don't like this idea.

Another approach would be to have projects "opt out" from using intl. As
the first step, autogen.sh should remove intl, configure.in should not
create Makefile there and the top-level Makefile should not descend there.
If it works then the intl module could be unlinked from that project.

Note that GNU Midnight Commander will always need intl since its text
frontend doesn't require Gtk. However, MC could switch to its own intl
directory if the shared one is removed or stripped of real code.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin