Re: gettext (accidental?)

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 05:15:25PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> GTK actually requires gettext to be installed (you can't do
> --with-included-gettext for libraries), so we may as well just nuke
> all instances of the "intl" directory, right? It's not useful.

That seems reasonable to me.  Have have been trying to understand
the function the intl dir served and failing.

Tarballs are going to have a copy of whatever the packager has on
their system.

People with gettext on their system will wipe whatever is in the
intl dir the first time they autogen and call gettextize.

People without gettext will use the version in intl.  However, this
version is probably not be the same one they would receive with a
tarball.

Why is it useful to have intl as a virtual module ?