Re: OO as GNOME software (topic change)

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 12:30:39AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Sam TH <sam uchicago edu> writes:
> > So GNOME as an organization has two choices: make a decision, which
> > will be unpopular with some people, or punt, and pretend that a
> > decision doesn't need to be made.
> >

> But what is the exact decision to make? I still see mostly a
> metaphysical question here. What is the
> affecting-actions-taken-by-someone practical decision that is actually
> facing us right now? i.e. what do you think the GNOME project should
> _do_ on this issue?

1) Say that for 1.4, GNOME office stays as it is on the web page.
This is just recognizing reality.  This should be easy.

2) Talk about what the GNOME project wants in an office suite.  By the
time that 2.0 rolls around, hopefully that discussion will have
allowed a decision to be made about what GNOME Office is.

To start that discussion, here are two important criteria I would like
to see:

a) GTK use. I don't think OO can really be a part of GNOME without
this.  Similarly, I wouldn't want to see Mozilla as part of GNOME.

ii) Bonobo use.  This is a big thing for office suites in general, and
something we need to be competitive with the only competitor that
matters, MS Office.  [Note that a UNO bridge would make me just as
happy.]

What do other people want?

	sam th
	sam uchicago edu