Re: OO as GNOME software (topic change)

On Feb 16, 2001, Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> wrote:

> > Yes I agree OpenOffice would be nicer if it used GTK, I'm not sure
> > that means we should boycott it.
>
> Not including it in GNOME isn't exactly boycotting it. You could still
> download it from http://www.openoffice.org, and I think a lot of people
> will...it just doesn't seem like something we'd really want to push as
> part of the GNOME desktop. It seems potentially confusing to put
> something forward as a part of the GNOME environment that doesn't even
> conform in the most basic ways to GNOME ui.

IMHO, that's the crux of the riddle.  As Havoc mentioned in his
originating post, GNOME apps should at least match the GUI style
guidelines:

Havoc wrote:

> What it should be: more diverse views here. The most popular one is
> that the release should be about polishing the end-user environment.
> This would include release goals such as the following:
>
>  - a GUI style guide
>  - accessibility; complete keybinding support
>  - finishing a help system; ensuring apps are fully documented, and
>    have tooltips for all apps

...etc.  All GNOME apps, if they are to _be_ "GNOME apps", should be
judged against the same set of criteria.  Of course, there's nothing
wrong with runner-up status either, i.e., "GNOMEish apps", although
presumably that would mean those apps were not included in the
official GNOME distribution.

John

--
dusk ravendusk org                            http://www.gnome.org