Re: OO as GNOME software (topic change)

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 10:22:00PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:
> > I'm interested in what we consider to be GNOME software... For example,
> > in the case of OO, is it still GNOME software if it doesn't use GTK+,
> > and provides Bonobo support through an external bridge? IMO, consistent
> > look and feel (where standard widgets are necessary but not sufficient)
> > is one of the major features a desktop environment has to offer a user.
> > I realize the OO team wants to maintain cross platform compatibility,
> > but I think AbiWord has a much more palatable approach to this. At the
> > very least it should look like the GTK+ theme, even if it uses its own
> > widget set underneath.
> >
> > Or rather maybe I should ask it this way...what makes OO GNOME software
> > other than divine impetit? As far as I can tell its platform agnostic
> > other than the couple Bonobo<->UNO bridges people are working on to make
> > it interoperate. But considering that sufficient to be GNOME software
> > would be exactly like saying all GNOME software has become KDE software
> > and vice-versa if someone were to write a KParts Bonobo bridge (I
> > realize this is infeasible).
> >

> I think it's sort of a metaphysical question - like discussing the
> "essence of GNOME software." ;-) It isn't going to have much answer.
>
> What practical issue are you concerned about? Whether it's in a GNOME
> release, whether they get to claim to be part of GNOME, etc. - I think
> that kind of concrete issue is more productive to discuss than "what
> is GNOME software?"

If, tommorow, KWord (or Eterm, or what have you) decided to claim that
it was GNOME software, and wanted to be in the release, what would
people say?  People would say that it didn't interoperate with GNOME,
that it didn't use GTK, that it didn't have anything to do with GNOME
at all, really.  If they wanted to be part of the release, we would
want a reason.

So, the question seems to be, given that any other application like
OpenOffice wouldn't be in the release, and that we would be upset
about it claiming GNOME imprimatur without any real association, why
is OpenOffice getting both?

If you want to be specific, what other non-GTK applications are being
considered for a GNOME release?

[And it would be really nice to just be able to post to this list,
instead of going through a moderator.  How does one accomplish that?]

	sam th
	sam uchicago edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
	GnuPG Key: