Re: My vision of gnome-libs (was Re: GNOME 2.0 meeting summary)

> f) GnomeSelector, Gnome-VFS integration or Martin's Baby
>
> First of all, let me explain what GnomeSelector is, what it does and
> why it's there.
>
> In gnome-libs 1.x there are widgets like GnomeEntry, GnomeFileEntry,
> GnomeIconEntry, GnomeIconSel etc. All of them share some common technology:
>
> - they store/manage a list of directories/files
> - they have an UI to let the user browse these lists etc.
> - they have history support

This is something I would like to see improved in GNOME 2.0.  I find the
current model to be clunky.  What I would like to see in the new file
dialog boxes is this:

o The ability to add bookmarks that you can set up in control-center.
  What this means is that I would like to pre-define a list of
  directories that I would like to be able to click on to save or load
  files.

o Better integration with the desktop.  If I have folders on the root
  window I would like to see them in the file dialog box. (Windows, Amiga,
  and Macs do this)  New users from Windows will expect the same behavior.

o Drag and drop from Nautilus to the desktop.  I can't recall of GMC did
  this.  I think it did.

You can probably merge the first two together by making the desktop into a
mandatory bookmark.

Thats about all I can think of.  If you're considering making a common
core I would like to see these features common to all dialog boxes.

	sri