Re: OO as GNOME software (topic change)

On 16 Feb 2001 04:27:44 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I'm interested in what we consider to be GNOME software... For example,
> > in the case of OO, is it still GNOME software if it doesn't use GTK+,
> > and provides Bonobo support through an external bridge? IMO, consistent
>
> Perhaps the problem here is you are trying to draw one arbitary line. Suppose
> you drew a 'Gnome application' line and a 'works well with gnome' line.
> Mozilla and OO would fit nicely into the model then

But then the burden of determining how well something integrates is
placed upon the users.  Almost any application can claim that it 'works
well with GNOME' at some level or another, even if that level goes all
the way down to just Xlib.  GNOME should probably have some sort of
standard by which applications can be said to be GNOME applications or
not, and the simplest starting point for such a standard is "Does it fit
into the environment visually?"  As someone already mentioned, it's very
difficult to do that without GTK.