Re: Suggestion for the News site

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 06:48:09AM -0600, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> Daniel, nice to hear your feedback on this. Please know that news.gnome.org
> will most likely be replaced by something, although we haven't decided what
> yet. mod_virgule is a good idea, I like it a lot, however, it does present a
> couple of problems. Mainly, we've been hoping to integrate news.gnome.org
> with the main GNOME site more. That means the same look, the same navigation
> system, etc. Now, that's difficult to do with mod_virgule, since the rest of
> the site looks like it's mostly going to be using PHP. That means that every
> time we change something in the layout of the main site, we'll have to make
> that change once more, to the mod_virgule configuration. This is an
> unfortunate situation that I'd like to try and avoid, if possible.
>
> So I'm not sure how we solve this. It might seem like a trivial point, but
> personally, at least, I'm trying to lower the barriers to maintenance as much
> as possible, since the current site uses several different technologies, some
> of them uncommon, and it's hardly getting any maintenance because it's too
> much work for people.

I understand your point and the associated trade off.

I personally would feel okay dropping the same look and feel of the
news part of the site to ease feedback from the community and lower
maintenance. Basically mod_virgule is "self_maintained" since it
already has a developper and user community of its own. Maybe we
should ask Raph his opinion on this.

Maybe mod_virgule can used with php so that at least we can keep
the header of the generated files identical.

I understand this may sound a bit radical, but considering how hard
the maintenance part is in general, maybe a simple color-tuned
mod-virgule would do the required job.

  But it's just a suggestion, I'm not involved deeply enough on
the Gnome web site maintenance to appreciate how it would impact
the current work being done, take this as one input.

Daniel

veillard redhat com  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/