Re: assorted gnome-core patches

On 28 Aug 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Tomas Ogren <stric ing umu se> writes:
> > EEEEEEEEEK!
> >
> > NAME
> >      killall - kill all active processes
>
> All active processes with the given name, i.e. oafd process group.
>

> > No thanks. No.
> >

> *shrug* the alternative is current GNOME which creates an infinite
> number of oafd and leaked bonobo servers on public workstations.  I
> think it should be fixed upstream, but hey, we also have a local patch
> if people are too embarassed by the hack.

	While I agree that the hack seems a little too dangerous to apply
on non-Linux systems, the problem of infinite oafd and bonobo server
processes is indeed very real and a pain to handle, especially for sysads
who don't want to be constantly monitoring stray processes on each
workstation !

	Having been a sysad who has had to deal with this problem, I would
be very happy if this was fixed soon [ I know it's easier said than done
]. It's also harder to promote GNOME on a larger scale because I have
often heard complaints about these kind of things  and well, it's not
something you can refute so easily ;)

	Regards,

		Ravi

--
"If you're smart, you'll be humble. There always is somebody
who hasn't read a book and knows twice as much as you do."

              -- David Duchovny in Readers' Digest

	Ravi Pratap M         <ravi che iitm ac in>
                      <http://www.iitm.ac.in/~ravi>