Re: Making it easier on translators

Daniel Veillard <Daniel Veillard w3 org> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 03:16:51PM +0100, Martin Baulig wrote:
> > > PHP and Perl are already installed. PostgreSQL isn't, since we use mySQL at
> > > the moment. It's mainly been Elliot and Owen (I think) doing the sysadmining
> > > on widget, so I guess the question of getting PostgreSQL installed would be
> > > up to them.
> >
> > I don't like this very much.
> >
> > As I see the situation, you (Hector) just need a SQL database so it doesn't
> > make any difference which particular implementation we're using on the server
> > side (I don't know about PHP, but in Perl you can use the DBI module which
> > allows you to use the same code to access any SQL database).
>
>   Though I'm using MySql myself, I think that one of the differences
> between both databases is that MySql has lower text handling capabilities
> than PostgreSQL (I18N and indexing capabilities comes to mind). But
> MySQL is closing problems fast so it's worth double-checking.

Well, I don't know much about PostgreSQL, but MySQL has a very good
authentication mechanism and more than that, it's just a pain for the sysadmin
team to maintain two SQL database installations.

I don't know who this thing will get things in and out of CVS, but I think
this database will just be used to store data in it, or am I wrong ?

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)