Re: Making it easier on translators

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 03:16:51PM +0100, Martin Baulig wrote:
> > PHP and Perl are already installed. PostgreSQL isn't, since we use mySQL at
> > the moment. It's mainly been Elliot and Owen (I think) doing the sysadmining
> > on widget, so I guess the question of getting PostgreSQL installed would be
> > up to them.
>
> I don't like this very much.
>
> As I see the situation, you (Hector) just need a SQL database so it doesn't
> make any difference which particular implementation we're using on the server
> side (I don't know about PHP, but in Perl you can use the DBI module which
> allows you to use the same code to access any SQL database).

  Though I'm using MySql myself, I think that one of the differences
between both databases is that MySql has lower text handling capabilities
than PostgreSQL (I18N and indexing capabilities comes to mind). But
MySQL is closing problems fast so it's worth double-checking.

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | http://xmlsoft.org/