Re: Making it easier on translators

[Joakim, I ask a question for you at the end]

> * Create an automated system to generate the .po files for every
> language, that send a letter to translator when a certain number of
> fuzzy or undone translation are found in the file (you should be able to
> conf this)

I like the idea.  Maybe we could do this on the GNOME CVS machine.  I
have CCed gnome-sysadmin, to ask for their input.

This would also mean that we would not have to grant CVS access to
translators who are just translating strings.  Some translators have
been "fixing" code in the CVS without getting the patches trough the
maintainers, and people have not noticed these "fixes" (which were
completely wrong).

So, this would allow us to reduce the number of people that need to
have CVS access just for translating messages.  Only people who knew
what they were doing would require the CVS access.

> * The system should be able to mange branches and make it transparent to
> translators.

I agree.

> * Have a web UI to get your .po file, to give it back once translated,
> to allow you to configure some things (like sending you letters when a
> new version of the .po file is available and there is so many changes)

That would be ideal.

> If you thing as I do that this that I said is a real problem and that
> what I proposed may be a good solution, I will start working on such a
> system that I want to do using: Perl, PhP3 (or 4) and Postgresql. I
> already have some people willing to help me with this so I think it
> would not take too long to have it ready.

Joakim, does any of these run on the widget.gnome.org machine?  What
could Hector use on widget.gnome.org to get things going?

Miguel.