Re: Bugzilla, once more.

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 12:00:38AM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

> In terms of the fields, we had the following requests
> from Maciej:
>
>  - Remove LATER and REMIND resolutions
>
>  - Reenable milestones.
>
>  - Add time estimate field
>
>  - Add Inclination field
>
>  - Change Priorities back to PO-P6 from the current
>    Urgent/High/Normal/Low.

I'd agree with you on all your statements with equal enthusiasm for
things like choosing Urgent/High/Normal/Low (basically
Critical/Grave/Normal/Wishlist from before, but this time worded even
more clearly) instead of P0-P6 and removing LATER and REMIND. I didn't
think we had much of a milestone plan that we're really sticking to or
could actually fit reports into, but milestones of "gnome-1.4" or
"gnome-2" would make sense to me.  The time estimate also seemed like
it could be useful.

If we can fit in all Maciej's requests without cluttering the UI, I'd
say go ahead and add them now (instead of later), they'll be
beneficial to those who will utilize the gains they provide, even if
the majority of users and developers aren't really paying attention to
these fields and leave them at default values.  Then later, we can
look back and see if these fields are being used often enough, and
decide whether or not to remove them.  Adding brand new fields at a
later time might be confusing to users and wouldn't help the existing
reports.

> I recommend we declare bugzilla live and move on to working on
> migrating old bugs to it and adding an email interface.

I can do a lot of the bug migrating.  So far I haven't figured out how
to create a package though, and it only lists a few like gedit, glib,
gnome-games, etc.  I can add a lot of the typical packages and their
common versions if someone would point me to instructions/tell me how
to doing this.

I can't wait to get bugzilla live and hope that it will grab other
developers interests too and help eliminate bugs.  Presently, the only
people who are really doing anything with bugs.gnome.org are Morten
Welinder, Robert Brady, and myself.  Check out a graph I've been
generating from scripts I wrote at http://64.50.141.184/open-bugs.html

It's basically linear, increasing at about 80 bug reports per day.
The huge drops are from scripts that Morten runs that go through the
'general' package and greps message bodies for particular signs of
belonging to other packages, like the words netscape-communicator in
the stack trace, reassignes them, then a second script goes through
known "dead" or "misplaced report" packages (like netscape, non-gnome,
kde, etc) and closes them with a friendly message telling them why
it's closed and where they should report their bug.

The general linearity implies that not much is done with reports, or
the few reports that are closed here and there are only flattening the
growth for maybe an hour or two.  I hope bugzilla can give us a better
solution that won't be neglected.

Another thing on my mind bug-buddy.  Although it's been the cause of
many useless reports, I think it's a great and useful tool and hope it
could be molded to fit our bugzilla scheme.  I don't think we should
consider closing down bugs.gnome.org until a bug-buddy is out there
that can handle bugzilla, even if we've basically finished moving over
existing reports from bugs.gnome.org.

Cheers,
Jason.