Re: Bugzilla read to go live?

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:

> Tracking which bugs have had responses to the submitter is something
> that is in fact important. Timely responses to bugs is something
> that is important to customer satisfaction.
>
> However, I see the assigned status as indicating that the person
> the bug is assigned to has taken responsibility for actually fixing
> the bug. I'm not sure piggy-backing onto that whether the bug
> has been looked at all is appriopriate.

I guess I am not comfortable with the bug tracker having a bunch of
bugs in it that no one is taking responsibility for. I would rather
see someone provisionally taking responsibility for each bug, even if
they don't mind

> Perhaps my trouble with the field is also in the wording. Not only
> does it look rather unprofessional, it also simply doesn't correspond
> to how things work for me - the bugs I hate fixing, I probably need to
> take of myself, because nobody else is going to be able to fix
> them. While the bugs that would be fun/easy to fix are frequently the
> things that I can get other people to do.

Actually, I agree about the wording. I've been very hesitant to mark
bugs "Hate" or "Dislike" in the past since it seems vaguely
unprofessional, despite assurances from people like Darin and John
Sullivan. How about reversing the polarity of this field to
"Willingness to Give Up This Bug" (better term, anyone?) and make the
levels "Want to Fix Myself", "Neutral" and "Take This, Please".

 - Maciej