Re: Bugzilla read to go live?

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 03:50:48PM -0800 or thereabouts, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> Since I'm not the maintainer of a package, I can't say how much they'd
> hate this, but as a bug reporter, it's certainly nice to see that
> somebody has at least looked at my bugs.

Yeah. I use the query facility to hunt for all bugs that I reported,
and seeing things still "new" rather than even "assigned" is a pain
at times.

> > > The priorities do have definitions, I just forgot to put them
> > > onto the page.
> > >
> > > What I wrote earlier was:
> > >
> > >  Urgent
> > >
> > >    This bug requires immediate attention and a new release of the
> > >    software as soon as possible. This will typically be used
> > >    for security problems.
>
> I like some of what Telsa had to say when she wrote the docs for
> bug-buddy, so I've tried to come up with a slightly improved version.

Thanks. I stole them from debbugs and the Debian guidelines :) About the
only thing I did was to add examples ("...produces files called core in
your home directory" seemed more helpful than "segfaults", for example.)

As someone noted, these are severities rather than priorities. It would
be very helpful to make sure initial docs (as in, "what you see right
there on the page when reporting something", not "by clicking three links
you find it") explain clearly the difference between severity and priority.
Examples are good.

> I've done something similar for the ones below as well.

Whee.

> Normal
>
>     These are all the bugs that you can't fit into other categories,
>     such as errors in the program (computing the value of 2+2 as 22),
>     messages that give incorrect information, and other bugs that aren't
>     purely cosmetic.

I think this is good. The definition for normal is hard to write because
it ends up being defined by what it isn't :) "Not so bad as this, more
serious than that." :) I'd also suggest "If you're not sure, put normal"
or "the majority of bugs are in this category".

[Priorities]
> Is there any way to make it P0-P5, and make P6 NOT the next one in
> series?  This would make it clearer that P6 isn't part of the normal
> prioritization scale, but rather a place for bugs that haven't been
> fitted to that scale yet.

Px ?

Telsa