Re: Proposed license policy

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 05:36:14PM +0500, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> On 04 Dec 2000 01:07:29 -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > * All libraries that become part of the GNOME development platform
> >   must have a license that allows for use by both GPL code and
> >   proprietary code. Acceptable licenses include LGPL, X-style license
> >   with no advertising clause, and dual MPL/GPL. LGPL is strongly
> >   preferred.
>
>   Uhm, I don't think this is right.  It should definitely be possible to
> have libraries that are GPL.

Well, the development libs required for GNOME development should be LGPLed or
similar.

I do not care one bit for proprietary apps, and would not lose any sleep if
they couldn't do gnome development.  However, there are other free software
licenses that are incompatible with GPL.  We want all of free software world
touse GNOME libs.  The fact that proprietary apps can use it is an
unavoidable side effect.

However I do see advantage to keeping some extra, non-required libs under GPL
only.  But they shouldn't be part of what is required to do GNOME apps.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.