GNOME sysadmin TODO list

I'm working on compiling a TODO list for system adminstration
tasks on the GNOME servers. If you have things that you would
see improved with our infrastructure, please send them to
me and I'll add them to the list.

Below is what I have now, as an example of what sort of things
would be appropriate. (Long term, this should be tracked
in Bugzilla, but for right now, I'm using the GTK+ TODO.xml
format.)

Regards,
                                        Owen

<todo>
  <title>GNOME Sytem Adminstration TODO list</title>
  <section>
    <title>Hardware / Base Configuration</title>

    <entry size="medium" status="70%" target="">
      <title>Migrate web/ftp services to widget.gnome.org </title>
      <description>
	The plan is to split things so that the current server,
	cvs.gnome.org only handles CVS (and maybe DNS) and
	all other services are hosted on widget.gnome.org.
	Most of the migration work has already been done
	for the main web site, and developer.gnome.org already
	has been moved. Zope is probably the biggest outstanding
	item, since we'd like to upgrade to the latest Zope
	and squishdot at the same time.
      </description>
      <contact>gnome-sysadmin gnome org</contact>
    </entry>
    <entry size="medium" status="0%" target="">
      <title>Reinstall cvs.gnome.org</title>
      <description>
	cvs.gnome.org is currently running Red Hat 6.0 with updates.
	It needs to be reinstalled from scratch, with some
	reconfiguration of the filesystem. (Minimum, move CVS temp
	directory to a separate partition.)
      </description>
      <contact>gnome-sysadmin gnome org</contact>
    </entry>
    <entry size="medium" status="0%" target="">
      <title>Journalling Filesystems / Hardware RAID</title>
      <description>
	The gnome.org servers are currently set up with software RAID.
	Unfortunately, for the 2.2 Linux kernels, this is incompatible
	with journallig filesystems such as ext3, which probably
	would improve the reliability of the server.
      </description>
      <contact>gnome-sysadmin gnome org</contact>
    </entry>
    <entry size="medium" status="0%" target="">
      <title>Move user database to NIS or LDAP</title>
      <description>
	Currently user/password databases are synced by hand between
	the machines. This needs to be handled better. Its possible
	that this should be integrated with the CVS user database,
2	and maybe even the foundation member list.
      </description>
      <contact>gnome-sysadmin gnome org</contact>
    </entry>
  </section>
  <section>
    <title>CVS</title>
    <entry size="big" status="10%" target="">
      <title>Add ACL system</title>
      <description>
	Module maintainers should be able to set policies for access
	to their modules.
      </description>
    </entry>
    <entry size="big" status="10%" target="">
      <title>Add secure transport / better authentication</title>
      <description>
	pserver is completely insecure. ssh would be possible, but
	would require having login accounts for all people with CVS
	access.
      </description>
    </entry>
  </section>

  <section>
    <title>Bugzilla</title>
    <entry size="medium" status="60%" target="">
      <title>Finish bugzilla installation</title>
      <description>
	Configure bugzilla to final set of fields, make live.
      </description>
    </entry>
    <entry size="medium" status="60%" target="">
      <title>Import bugs from old bugs.gnome.org</title>
      <description>
	Martin is working on scripts for parksing debbugs bugs and
	important them.
      </description>
    </entry>
    <entry size="medium" status="60%" target="">
      <title>Write mail handler script</title>
      <description>
	Need handling of bug manipulation and submission by mail.
      </description>
    </entry>
  </section>

  <section>
    <title>Web</title>
    <entry size="small" status="0%" target="">
      <title>Deal with branches in LXR properly</title>
      <description>
	LXR is currently looking at the stable branch for some modules
	and head for others. We need to make both accessible - this
	probably can be done by simply checking out multiple copies
	in the CVSROOT that LXR uses.
      </description>
    </entry>
    <entry size="medium" status="0%" target="">
      <title>Make applist searchable.</title>
      <description>
	This is a very frequent request.
      </description>
    </entry>
  </section>

  <section>
    <title>Mail</title>
    <entry size="small" status="0%" target="">
      <title>Upgrade to 2.0final</title>
      <description>
	Low priority, but it would be eventually good to go to the
	final 2.0 version of Mailman.
      </description>
    </entry>
  </section>