Re: Proposed license policy

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 09:01:30PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Ian Peters <itp helixcode com> writes:
> > I think it's a great idea to have a dialog about this.  I think we'd
> > all like to see GNOME as the development platform of choice for all
> > software, free and non-free.  I don't know whether that means we
> > should aim for parity, though.
> >

>  5) Even with free software, some is MPL or the like, and we should
>     probably allow people to port such apps to our platform.

This is an example that is annoying me currently.  The APR library,
which is a quality piece of work, sadly cannot be used by any GPL
software, due to the inane incompatiblites between the Apache license
and the GPL.  We should try to minimize these problems as much as
possible, as it just makes more work for everyone, with no benifit for
anyone.

	sam th
	sam uchicago edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/