Re: bugzilla work items

On 03 Dec 2000 13:23:26 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:
>
> > Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
[snip]
> > >  * Remove priorities entirely.
> > >
> > >  [ Is this what we want to do? Martin had this in his plan and no one
> > >    objected. The typical usage of them seems to be for tracking bugs
> > >    that need to be fixed for a particular release, but we have that
> > >    somewhat with the classification of severity into those that block
> > >    releases and those that don't, but its possible that some
> > >    people would want to make minor or trivial bugs release-critical.
> > >    (you mispelled my name in the README file!) ]
> >
> > Hmm, that'd be a good reason to keep priorities (but rename them to something
> > better than P1...P5).
>
> I think I would find this useful for GTK+. Right now, I'd like
> to go through all the GTK+ bugs and flag all the ones that I
> want to deal with for 1.2.9. It would feel wrong to me to go
> through and mark all these bugs as 'Major' or 'Critical' in
> Severity, because mostly they are minor bugs, and changing
> them to 'Major' would if nothing else distort the statistics.
>
> Red Hat has simply High, Normal, Low. I'd suggest extending this
> just a bit to Urgent, High, Normal, Low, with the
> recommended interpratations:
>
>  Normal
[snip]

Why is it that nobody can seem to define "Normal" with regards to bugs?
:)

> Setting priorities probably should be reserved for the 'GNOME Hackers'
> group and certainly should not be an option when submitting a
> bug.

How will "GNOME Hackers" be defined?  Is this just the people who write
lots of GNOME code?  Or people with CVS commit access?  Or people on
gnome-hackers?  Or even just people who are on gnome-private?

    Greg

P.S. I don't know if this will go through to gnome-hackers, as I've been
unable to convince anybody other than jrb and muet that I should be
subscribed.