Re: bugzilla work items

Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:

> Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
>
> > These are the things I think need doing to bring bugzilla.gnome.org
> > into line with the current plans:
> >
> >  * Remove rep_platform and add os_details mediumtext field. Update
> >    relevant pages.
> >
> >  * Make sure all references to 'program' in publically visible places
> >    read 'product' instead.
> >
> >  ? Add NeedInfo status
> >
> >  ? Change resolutions to match my proposal of today
> >    (INCOMPLETE/NOTABUG/NOTGNOME)
> >
> >  ? lowercase enumerations in public display
> >
> >  * Remove priorities entirely.
> >
> >  [ Is this what we want to do? Martin had this in his plan and no one
> >    objected. The typical usage of them seems to be for tracking bugs
> >    that need to be fixed for a particular release, but we have that
> >    somewhat with the classification of severity into those that block
> >    releases and those that don't, but its possible that some
> >    people would want to make minor or trivial bugs release-critical.
> >    (you mispelled my name in the README file!) ]
>
> Hmm, that'd be a good reason to keep priorities (but rename them to something
> better than P1...P5).

I think I would find this useful for GTK+. Right now, I'd like
to go through all the GTK+ bugs and flag all the ones that I
want to deal with for 1.2.9. It would feel wrong to me to go
through and mark all these bugs as 'Major' or 'Critical' in
Severity, because mostly they are minor bugs, and changing
them to 'Major' would if nothing else distort the statistics.

Red Hat has simply High, Normal, Low. I'd suggest extending this
just a bit to Urgent, High, Normal, Low, with the
recommended interpratations:

 Urgent

   This bug requires immediate attention and a new release of the
   software as soon as possible. This will typically be used
   for security problems.

 High

   This should be fixed for the next release of the software.

 Normal

 Low

   This bug would be nice to fix as time permits.

Setting priorities probably should be reserved for the 'GNOME Hackers'
group and certainly should not be an option when submitting a
bug.

(If we have a separate priority, it probably is OK to allow submitters
to flag their bug as "Major" or "Critical" if they feel like it.)

Regards,
                                        Owen