Re: request to get pickled

Bruce Ingalls wrote:

> I would like for gnome to have, say, a command-line or environment
> variable flag, which
> allows users to persist & restore screens, with their displayed values.
> Thus, it could then be possible, for example, to write an Expect-like
> scripting language, which
> could kick off gFtp, wait for a login prompt, and automatically fill in
> username & password into
> the appropriate text fields.
> This script could then grab the remote directory listing, then call
> gedit and paste in the data.

Probably not exactly what you were thinking of, but the addition of the
accessibility libraries to GNOME 2.0 makes it theoretically possible to
drive any regular GNOME application from another application.  So you
could potentially write a script/program that fired up gFtp, waited for
a login prompt, filled in username and password info, and did all the
other stuff you wanted.

Nobody has actually done this yet as the accessibility libraries are
still in development, but there was some discussion on
gnome-accessibility-list a while back about how they could be used to
implement a general scripting language for GNOME.

Cheeri,
Calum.