Apology. Accidently sent before censoring

> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 16:05:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Ilan Volow <raskinite yahoo com>
> Subject: Re: gnome-gui-list digest, Vol 1 #264 - 2
> msgs
> To: gnome-gui-list gnome org
>

> > John Kodis wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 09:18:55AM -0400, Kevin
> > Vandersloot wrote:
> >
> > > For Nautilus in single click mode you can hold
> > down CTRL and select any
> > > number of icons with a button press.
> >
> > I understand that MS and Mac desktops have a
> similar
> > feature.
>

> True, but the mac used the shift key for
> discontinuous
> selection. I'll need to change ctrl to shift when
> I'm
> get around to forking Nautilus. Just one more M$ism
> hunt down and kill (sigh)

> > select a set of 15 items, the user clicks to
> select
> > the first item,
> > and then control-clicks to select the subsequent
> 14.
> >  So the only
> > difference between single and double click
> > activations is whether the
> > first item is selected using click, or
> > control-click.  To my mind, the
> > "click to activate, control-click to select"
> > approach seems more
> > consistant and easier to use for the common case
> of
> > object activation.
>
> One problem with single click activation is that it
> breaks consistency with things like lists and
> columned
> lists (CLists). You often have cases where single
> clicking on those things selects stuff, and double
> clicking activates the item and does something like
> bring up a dialog or play an mp3. Also when dealing
> with text, single clicking performs a selection-type
> role. Finally, single-clicking on icon file names is
> often used turn the file name into a text field that
> can be edited. So you
>
> But apparently some idiot in Redmond Washington
> decided to squander the Enter key on

Sorry for the what sounds like a troll. I sometimes
type what I think in my messages and once it's
complete I tone it down a bit to reduce tastelessness
and chances for flamewars. But unfortunately the
message was accidently sent before it was finished. IE
on my machine at work didn't seem to under the concept
of ESC making the browser stop whatever it was doing.
Or maybe ESC is really a latin abbreviatiation for
"please continue at all costs". Anyhow, my bad.

--Ilan