Re: browse dialogs

thristian atdot org wrote:

> Wishlist item for GTK:
>  * When the keyboard focus is on a list control, typing alphabetic
>    characters should move the selection to the first item beginning
>    with that sequence of characters. At work, on Win2K I have
>    shortcuts on the desktop labelled "home" and "gvim" and "PuTTY" and
>    so forth, and I can start browsing my home directory by clicking on
>    any visible part of the desktop and typing "home" <enter>.
>
>    In some ways Linux isn't very keyboard friendly.. :(
>
> Are these already discussed somewhere, or could I file an RFE in
> bugzilla.gnome.org for them?

I've filed several keyboard navigation requests/bugs (including the list
control suggestion you mentioned) against gtk at bugzilla.gnome.org--
look for the ones with KEYNAV in their title.  The suggestions in these
bug reports are based on the document I produced for the GNOME
accessibility project, which you can find at:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/keyboardnav.html

I haven't yet got around to proposals/bugs for many non-gtk widgets,
though (e.g. those in GAL).  Because keyboard navigation is fundamental
to making GNOME a fully-accessible desktop, a good place to discuss this
document (or volunteer to help me finish it!) or other suggestions for
keyboard navigation features would be
<gnome-accessibility-list gnome org>.

Cheeri,
Calum.